Thursday, July 29, 2010

Leave it on silent or at home

Cell phones do not belong in the class. They are not a learning tool. They are tool for communication and for social networking as the article pointed out. The teacher primary is to educate and although I understand the point about integration and getting to your children on their level—in this I firmly disagree. Keeping kids attention in the classroom is not enough, checking the merits of what student is using a cell phone for will prove even more pressing. Yes there are some interesting using for cellular phones, the internet, text messaging and even spell checking are all valid mediums for education, they are also mediums that a teacher can’t mindfully control. The article does suggest a social contract to aid in the students being equitable for time, I am however, not confident in my students judicious use of time. Nor can I confidently see the value of policing cell phones for the weak reward of a digital educational connection.

The other aspect that concerns me is the students who cannot afford the luxury of a cellular phone. The artificial assumption is that all students have cell phones, they have picture messaging, or they have mobile internet. At one hundred dollars per month, I don’t even have most of the features. My questions is hypothetical, I assign something that requires these tools. What supplemental material or assignment can I provide for those that do not have these luxuries? Wouldn’t it be more beneficial for learning to send the kids to the technology lab where I can monitor the device and productivity? Here I feel comfortable with the use and content. What if I am held responsible for a Childs unsafe or harmful use of a phone? In my class?

The author strikes a keen point on making the classroom a good fit for children. Pointing out, meeting them on a digital playing field that makes sense. I personally think there are better ways for our students to be engaged then through a pocket size digital device. If I am to engage my students I need to open there affective and cognitive senses, possibly even their physcomotor ones. I cannot do this by expecting them to use their keypad in inch by inch strokes. I need their minds primed, their bodies focused, and their learning to be interactive. Not micro-active.

If we wish to engage our students, I ask that cell phones be left outside the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment