Monday, July 19, 2010

Have You Googled Your Teacher Lately?

Where am I? Apparently I have almost no online presence. When I searched my own name, derivatives and previous nicknames; even addresses and zip codes yielded no results. Google and Pipl.com did not show anything that resembled me. I looked for various “handles” and pseudonyms of myself-negative.

I can’t really think of anything specific I would like to change in regards to my teacher persona. Because there isn’t much-that might be a place to start. I think that some information provided by myself, as the critical source, might be important in my own professional development. Because there is a vital lack of information about, I need to be careful about presenting myself and differentiating clearly.

Speech is a right. It is constitutionally protected and vital the formation of a democratic government. Although there are some lines to be drawn, as reporters are protected until reporting becomes slander; teachers must be protected until it impacts their classroom. We are human. We have beliefs, feeling, and the right to express those; we encourage our students to associate expression with learning. Therefore we must be allowed to follow those same precepts.

The line between our personal and professional lives is becoming more and more blurred. With the life of our online persona and that of our profession mingling very closely, the article eludes to some very unseen consequences. Teachers who have information available to potential employers, students, or even fellow staff can lead to some disastrous situations. Although I firmly believe we are held to an unreasonably high standard; the merits, context, and intention of online information can be used in a very antagonistic and hurtful manner.

Now that I understand the consequences of not being proactive, I will be checking myself and my online persona far more often. I realize that what goes up in to the “www-world” may be there forever, careful consideration and discreteness will be integral to keeping my private and professional lives separate.

1 comment:

  1. Ian,
    Sorry to hear that you don't exist in the digital world. I completely agree with you that we all need to have a voice. We just need to make sure that we censor that voice when inside the school or school environment. To me it is extremely scary that future employers can go online and look up my entire history. Because you don't exist online might be a very good thing. Lastly, I agree that we need to keep our personal and professional lives sepparate but the big question is HOW?

    ReplyDelete